Our Treats and Reads program is available year-round! Girl Scouts in today’s society need more safe ways to engage in e-commerce and online marketing. One way to participate with Treats and Reads is through creating your own online store and learning to market your store through social media and email. Traditional order taking and direct selling through nut huts are still the most popular options.
Treats & Reads has fun items available that make great gifts, like cans of whole cashews, chocolate-covered raisins, fruit slices, or a bag of trail mix! Take a look at all of the fantastic treats we have to offer on our meets the treats page.
You can also renew or start a new annual magazine subscription at a great price. With magazines from Parent’s Choice®, top children’s magazines like Lady Bug, and National Geographic Jr., and even more magazines for adults like HGTV and Reader’s Digest, these subscriptions are a great and important resource and source of enjoyment for everyone.
Take orders for nuts and candies using the colorful in-person order-taking form. Troops earn 14% of all orders. Best of all, troops keep their proceeds right away. Troop leaders should contact the cupboard with your order at least 1 week prior to assure product availability. See cupboard information for contact details.
Girls set up their online store with their parent's or guardian's help at gsnutsandmags.com Contact our GSHOM Helpdesk with any questions at 1-800-497-2688.
Girls can create a message, set their goals, and send emails/texts to friends and family with an online link to their store. Customers make their selections, pay online for their products and their order will be shipped to their homes.
* Online orders are not eligible for girl delivery. All online orders must pay a shipping fee. There is no fee for Home Town Hero donations or magazine subscriptions!
Similar to a cookie booth, girls gain confidence and apply the Five Skills when having a nut hut sale.
Steps to participate:
1. Locate a place for your nut hut or drive-thru location. Be inventive, but do not contact businesses listed at the bottom.
*** Pro Tip- have a large sign that lists products and prices, for easy order taking.
2. We encourage no more than 4 girls and 2 adults at a time.
3. Be prepared and bring sanitizing wipes, gloves, and hand sanitizer to use at the nut hut when handling products & cash.
4. Payment methods such as payment apps, online payment services, or card readers can be used. (see troop guides and product materials for more specific info.)
*** Pro Tip - Many troops use Square, Paypal, or Venmo.
5. Return any unsold product the following Monday. Deposit all money in the troop bank account.
6. Your troop will earn 14% profit. The remaining amount will be pulled by ACH from your troop bank account.
Standard 2-4 hour Nut Hut includes only these items:
Council Organized Lists of stores not to contact (some locations may be available for a Nut Hut Drive through Sign-up Genius.)
*Troop Nut Hut drive-throughs are in large outdoor areas like parking lots.
Dunkin Donuts – council-wide° Sam’s Club –council-wide° Walmart- council-wide Kroger – council-wide JoAnn Fabrics – council-wide Lowes – council wide° Tractor Supply – council-wide V.G.’s Food Market – council-wide Frank’s Great Outdoors – Saginaw Region only Pinconning Cheese House –Saginaw Region only Polly’s Country Market – Jackson Region only Jackson Crossing Mall – Jackson Region only Klavons – Jackson Region only Schuler Books – Lansing Region only Carl’s Super Market – Lansing Region only D&W – Lansing & Kalamazoo Region only Tom’s Food Center – Lansing Region only Family Video – Lansing Region only Office Max – Lansing Region only Family Farm & Home- Lansing Region only LaFontaine Motors– Lansing Region only Pruess Pets – Lansing Region only MSUFCU – Lansing Region only Busch’s – Ann Arbor Region only Briarwood Mall – Ann Arbor Region only Brighton Market – Ann Arbor Region only Leo’s Coney Island – Ann Arbor Region only Lucky’s Market – Ann Arbor Region only Washtenaw Community College – Ann Arbor Region only Ypsi Ale House– Ann Arbor Region only Walgreens – Kalamazoo Region only Crossroads Mall – Kalamazoo Region only TJ Maxx – Kalamazoo Region onlyMidtown Fresh – Kalamazoo Region only Ace Hardware – Kalamazoo Region only
1. On the Dashboard, Click “Manage Troops and Girl Scouts”.
2. Click the + of the appropriate troop number.
3. Click “Move Products”
4. Products will be moved to: Click the drop-down arrow for “Girl Scout”
***Note*** Cupboards will move products to troops. You cannot add the product to Girl Scout until the Cupboard moves to your troop.***
5. Type in your troop number and then select the troop number that is displayed.
6. Use the drop-down arrow that appears next to the troop number to find the appropriate Girl Scout.
7. A chart with available Extra products will pop up. Enter the number of correct available items.
8. Be sure to add comments for each product movement. Date/ goal getter/ nut drive-thru/ etc.
9. Click “Move Products”
If your product totals are not correct, be sure to contact your cupboard for support.
We'll be here to help you every step of the way, and we encourage you to reach out to us whenever you have questions. Send an email to email@example.com or give the Help Desk a call at 800-497-2688.